18 December 2011

EVERYONE is Wearing Clothes?...How Awkward

Alternately titled, "The Paper Thong"

A friend and I went to a nearby spa for our birthdays. This spa isn't a manicure/pedicure/massage kind of place (although they do offer those things there) but rather a giant building with thermal pools from an underground spring and a large sauna complex.
I've read about places like this and checked the website and it said:

Recommended clothing

With a large towel or bathrobe you are perfectly dressed for your spa visit.

I decided I was going to have to be okay with being naked in front of a bunch of complete strangers. I'm in Europe and they have a totally different body image culture. It was time to be comfortable with myself. When we got there, everyone had on a bathing suit. EVERYONE. I didn't bring a bathing suit. [Note: after approximately an hour of searching the website after we got back I found something that said bathing suits were mandatory in the pools but not allowed in the sauna. I had apparently been looking at the sauna section of the website when I found the above quote.] So I paid a ridiculous amount of money for a bathing suit from the little shop there.

I had a foot massage scheduled and despite having on only a bathing suit, the lady told me to take it off because it wouldn't be comfortable to lay there in a wet suit. However, apparently it's not okay to be naked on the massage table either. She gave me a paper thong to put on. Not paper underwear. Literally a paper thong. I'm not sure what that was supposed to protect me from or from me. Well, the massage wasn't worth the money but I kept the paper thong. Just to prove that I'm not making it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment