18 November 2012

Dogs Around Town - Sundays in My City

Dutch people walk their dogs. Most of them multiple times/day.  Regardless of the weather. I walk my dogs once/day as long as it's not pouring rain.  Dogs are even allowed in some stores and restaurants.  Restaurants will bring a water bowl for them.  

My dogs waiting outside the grocery store (where they are not allowed).
 Some places about town have what I call "fixture dogs" because they're just part of the place.
This friendly one hangs out outside a clothing store. I believe s/he belongs to someone who works there. S/he's never on a leash but I've never seen her cause any trouble.  
She always comes to say hello to my dogs.

This dog seems to live in the store-front of this art...I'm not sure exactly what this place is. I've never seen it open but there's art in there.  When I ride past on my way to work in the morning the dog is always asleep right there in the window.

This morning we walked to the grocery store and it rained on our way back. Tex was born and spent his first 1.5 years on Phoenix, AZ where he never got wet. He still hates getting wet. Cheyenne very sweetly dried him off when we got back.

Normally it's Tex taking care of Cheyenne but he really hates being wet!
  Feel free to head over to Unknown Mami and check out all the other Sundays in My City posts. Next week, I promise, no dogs :)

Unknown Mami

12 comments:

  1. Your dogs are beautiful. I like the idea of more pet friendly towns, but I still can't get used to sharing restaurant space with furry patrons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. It's something you get used to being around. I like seeing dogs most everywhere.

      Delete
  2. We have a few places that let dogs come in. We do have a law that says they can't go into stores where food is served.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried taking them inside a restaurant but they've been at outdoor seating areas.

      Delete
  3. I think I am with Tex... I hate the cold and wet too.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dogs are gorgeous, my lab does not like getting wet at all, he doesn't even swim in our pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me 3 tries to get him to go out when I got home from work yesterday. That dog has a bladder of steel and will hold it for days if it's raining and I don't force him out!

      Delete
  5. Your dogs are beautiful. My husband and I have been debating on whether or not to get a dog. The idea of having my own "fixed" dog is pretty inviting.
    Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Dogs are a lot of work but 99% of the time they're totally worth it :)

      Delete
  6. San Francisco is pretty dog-friendly and there are bowls of water and treats for dogs at many businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Mami! I think allowing dogs makes it more likely people will walk and that's always a good thing.

      Delete