20 January 2013

More Snow - Sundays in My City

I have previously stated my feelings towards snow (once, enough for pretty pictures and for me to happily watch the dogs run in it even if they don't care). We had that back in December. It was gone a day later and it was perfect. So when I woke up Tuesday morning to see a dusting of snow (and to find that there was no heat or hot water in my house) I wasn't thrilled. It's been below freezing all week (those in places that actually know what COLD, WINTER weather is...Norway, Minnesota, Canada...please feel free to scoff at me!) and I hate being cold.  The ever-mounting collecting of gloves/mittens I have in my seemingly never-ending quest to find some that actually keep my fingers warm...the fact that I work in an uninsulated metal container on a construction site...being a bicycle commuter...I hate being cold! It snowed again today. I'm over it!!

But, if it was going to snow I was going to take pictures. So here you go.









The construction site.


A few splashes of color!

Last Sunday several of the SIMC posts featured trips to the beach and other warm-looking events. I was jealous!  Go over to Unknown Mami and see places warm, cold and in-between.

Unknown Mami

16 comments:

  1. I'll take the photos... they are beautiful. But, you can keep the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that your dog? Does he like the snow? I like the snow on the fence posts picture, although I don't care for snow much either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie--There are 2 dogs (that look very much alike). They don't care one way or another about the snow as far as I can tell. I must say, though, that I prefer dogs in the snow rather than the mud (which we get a LOT of here)!

      Delete
  3. I hate being cold too and we are stuck in the middle of a real winter wonderland here in the UK too. I am hoping when this finally passes we will start to see spring emerging

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha another Brit that hates the snow. It's just stopped here and I really hope that's it. I've had enough now.

    Love your photos, and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I'm not a Brit but I do mostly hate snow!

      Delete
  5. Love the shots and the little pooch along with the berries shot against the snow are my favorites. I live in California and never see snow so I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a snow lover who lives in Wisconsin. Here are some "tips" about staying warm in your uninsulated working site:

    1) wear "cuddle duds" under your clothing. Cuddle Duds is a brand name, but once you see what they are, there are some other brands of the same type of thing that also work well.

    2) wear wool socks. These are not only warm, but they wick the moisture away from your feet keeping your feet warmer.

    3) wear a hat or warm ear/head band. You lose 90% of your heat through your head

    4) Make sure your shoes are not too tight - - - tight shoes cut off circulation and make your feet cold quickly

    5) Wear layers so if you get too warm you can take off an outer layer. You may think I'm crazy to say "if you get too warm" but when I shovel, even in very cold temps, I often bundle up TOO much and get TOO warm - - - sweating in the cold will then chill you.

    I wish I could impart my love of snow to you - - - if you live where it snows, you may as well learn to love it or the winter months will be long misery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keetha! I have all that (although I'm required to wear steel-toed boots so I'm limited in footwear options). I should say that the container is heated just not insulated so it tends to be drafty and not always super warm. I sometimes get too warm on my bike ride to work but it's hard to de-layer while riding a bike :) Thankfully we don't get weather like this too often or for too long!

      Delete
  7. I love the splashes of color and your dog seem to quite enjoy the snow :-) Thank you for dropping by pret-a-vivre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that snowy winter lane...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if you're going to be cold, at least you got lovely pictures out of it.

    Happy Sunday!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks beautiful, but no fun to commute in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pics. Love the dog! What breed is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hippy...the dogs are rescues so I don't know exactly what mixes they are but they both have yellow lab and...other stuff. Everyone has their opinion about what's in them (they're not the same mix).

      Delete