04 February 2016

Where Have I Been?

Home...mostly. 

This blog started as a way to share my travels with friends and family back home.  It evolved a little when I made a bigger move overseas and grew to incorporate posts about the dogs, exercise, books, food, etc.  That wasn't my original intent but it's what happened.

Last year I didn't really go anywhere.  I had plans but then Tex got sick and shortly thereafter we lost him.  It was a huge emotional blow and I'm still not over it.  On the same day my car engine blew up.  Seriously!  I lived a bad country song for a little while.  In addition to the emotional trauma of it there was also a big hit to my bank account.  So my travel plans were put on hold. 

I wasn't the only one to be hit very hard by Tex's parting.  My other (much older) dog also lost her best friend and she was clearly very depressed. I felt like I had to do something or I was going to lose her, too. So after a month I brought home two foster dogs from the rescue where I volunteer.  They came to the rescue together from the same house and I didn't want to separate them.

Bella (I nicknamed her the Little Monster)- a miniature poodle who was in terrible shape when we got her. After getting her healthy and recovered from her recent abandonment and neglect she was adopted by a wonderful woman and is thriving in her new home.

Jack - a black lab/pit mix who is about the sweetest dog you'll ever meet.
I wish I could say that these dogs were the balm my old dog needed to get over her sadness but they weren't.  However, she does seem less depressed although I doubt she'll ever fully get over the loss of Tex.  She really didn't like Bella (Bella had some aggression issues even though she was a tiny little thing and at her age, Chey is just not as understanding and adaptable as she used to be).  No dog will ever replace Tex but Jack has a great sense of when something is wrong and he checks on her (and me) often (sometimes knocking her over in his haste to see if she is okay).  It's not perfect but it's better than what it was. I no longer worry that Chey is going to commit suicide while I'm at work (I'm not making light of suicide...I cried every morning when I left just because of the look on her face).

Chey and Jack the day he came to live with us. I think this might be the only picture I have where Chey is smiling.
So we've just been here, doing out thing...recovering emotionally and figuring out a new normal. 



However, I do have travel plans for this year!  And I have travels about which I have not yet posted.  So I hope to get back to this blog and tell you about some trips I've taken in the past and what my plans are for this year.  I'm excited!

Do you have travel plans for this year?  What are they?

5 comments:

  1. Dogs do have their own community. It was good that you removed Bella since your dog had issues with her and it's hard that Chey and Jack are not best of friends, but having another dog in the home adds interest to her life as well as giving the new dog a home. Maybe they will develop a strong bond over time. I lost my black lab last summer and I'm still not sure about getting another. If I do, it will be a rescue dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing a pet is so hard. Rescue dogs are the best!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree. My lab wasn't a rescue but my previous dog was and we had him for many years. Such a good dog, I cried buckets when we lost him due to pure old age.

      Delete
  2. So glad to "see" you back and looking forward to hearing about your upcoming travel plans!
    I am so sorry about all the turmoil and loss! I hope that your new family dynamics are settling in nicely.

    I will be going to Portland in March and India in June!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear about your upcoming trips! I need to get planning!!

      Delete