28 May 2017

Support - Sundays in My City

I read about this art installation just a few days before going to Venice and knew I had to see it (I plan to go back before November to see more of the Biennale).  Due to its location and Venice's mostly-water access, the only real way to see it is from the water.  Which means you can't walk around it or take a lot of time looking at it.  You see it as your vaporetto is going past. 





Venice is sinking, sea levels are rising...this might be just an art installation but so many places are facing the very real threat that is climate change. Venice currently floods (and by floods they mean that the water level rises 110 cm (43 in) covering 14% of the city) roughly 4 times per year. The famous Rialto bridge has sunk 1.7 m (almost 5 ft) since it was built.  This is not a fictional disaster movie.  This is real. And it's only going to get worse if we don't take drastic measures to reverse it.

Sundays In My City

5 comments:

  1. Love these. You were lucky to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is brilliant. What a clever piece of art

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a story about this art project on the evening news!! How awesome that you got to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the exhibit and I am so ashamed of and enraged by the decision made by 45 that are no good for the planet or any of us.

    ReplyDelete